Videos - Retubes, RIB repairs, SUPs and Other Inflatable Craft
Videos of Inflatable Boats repairs. Retubes, RIBs, Stand Up Paddleboards (SUPs), dinghies and other inflatable craft. Also, videos on other useful skills that will come in handy when boating.
Paddleboard Repair Using PVC Glue
A short how to guide on making a repair to a PVC Stand-Up Paddleboard. Watch Paddleboard Repair Using PVC Glue video on YouTube.
Sanding demonstration on Hypalon
Sanding demonstration on Hypalon fabric showing how much to sand when carrying out a RIB or Inflatable Dinghy repair and what will happen if you sand too far.
Splicing a Rope - A Very Useful Boating Skill
A quick guide on how to splice, useful when wanting to splice a loop/eye or lifeline using 3 strand rope.
Avon Dinghy Repair and Clean
This was a repair and deep clean job on an old Avon dinghy. It was looking very sorry for itself when it was brought to us but it 'brushed up' very well. We refitted the rub strip, repaired the transom edge and fully cleaned the dinghy. The customer was very happy and so were we at the result. It just shows that it's never too late for an overhaul. Watch Avon Dinghy Repair and Clean video on YouTube
zodiac semi-recessed valve repair
this video is a how guide for zodiac owners to show how to replace the seals in their semi-recessed zodiac valves.
if you need to buy this insert search on google for this:
Zodiac Semi Recessed Valve Diaphragm Z60055
how to make your own elephant trunk
To make R.I.B (rigid inflatable boat) elephant trunks or drainers, you will need the following materials and tools:
PVC fabric or Hypalon fabric ( preferably suitable for marine use) PVC adhesive or Hypalon adhesive (specific to the fabric you're using)
Scissors or a utility knife
Measuring tape or ruler
Marker or pencil
Heat gun or hair dryer
Clamps or heavy objects for holding the fabric in place during adhesive curing
Safety gloves and eye protection
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make R.I.B elephant trunks or drainers:
- Measure and mark the desired size and shape of the elephant trunk or drainer on the PVC or Hypalon fabric. The size and shape will depend on your specific needs and the design of your R.I.B.
- Use scissors or a utility knife to cut out the marked shape from the fabric. Ensure clean and straight cuts for better adhesion and sealing.
- If you want to reinforce the edges of the trunk/ drainer, cut strips of fabric to serve as patches. These patches should extend beyond the edges of the trunk or drainer to provide a strong bond when glued.
- Apply thin and even amount of PVC adhesive or Hypalon adhesive to the edges of the trunk or drainer and the corresponding areas on the patches, if using. Follow the adhesive manufacturer's instructions for application and curing times.
- Align the edges of the patches with the edges of the trunk or drainer and press them firmly together. Ensure that there are no air bubbles or wrinkles in the fabric.
- Use clamps or heavy objects to hold the fabric in place while the adhesive cures. Make sure the trunk or drainer maintains its desired shape during this time.
- After the adhesive has cured, use a heat gun or hairdryer to apply heat to the seams. This helps activate the adhesive and creates a stronger bond. Be careful not to overheat or burn the fabric.
- Once the trunk or drainer is fully assembled and cured, test its integrity by filling it with water or using it in a controlled water environment. Check for any leaks or weak points and make necessary repairs if needed.
fitting internal patches
guide and tips on how to install an internal repair patch on a rib tube, this video is while i was actually doing the repair so you can see the steps and process to a successful tube repair .
if you do not wish to repair or retube your rib yourself feel free to get in contact and we may be able to assist you
RIB Repair - Old Scorpion RIB New Lease of Life
Some before during and after work carried out on a customers Scorpion cabin RIB. The tube was quite badly deteriorating and adding a new layer to the top will certainly give her a new lease of life. Watch RIB Repair - Old Scorpion RIB video on YouTube.
Walk around of a recent retube
Recent Retube on a Southcoast 6.5 rib in 866 orca carbon blue with black carbon wear patches, straight tube design, fitted with D7 inflation valves and A6 pressure release.